One of the coolest things I did this week was watch The Empire Strikes Back with the kids. My all-time favorite of the Star Wars movies. And while the things Yoda says are not exactly about gratitude, they certainly are wise. A strong spiritual teacher, is he. So in lieu of quotes on gratitude, this week, sharing my favorite yoda-isms am I. Enjoy.
“Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.”
“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering.”
“For my ally is the Force. And a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us… and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this… [nudging Luke’s arm] crude matter! You must feel the Force around you. Here, between you, me, the tree, the rock… everywhere!”
“Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future.”
And a fun favorite…
“When nine hundred years old you reach, look as good, you will not, hm?”
Gratitude list for the week ending August 13
- Well, watching The Empire Strikes Back with the kids. Em’s reaction to the “big reveal” of Luke’s father was the exact same as mine. NOOOOO! She hasn’t stopped talking about it since.
- Two “date nights” with Mom. One nice dinner out and another to go see The Help. I almost never like movies made from books I love, but they did a great job with this one.
- In preparation for WriteOnCon this week, drafting two query letters and starting a comprehensive revision on another manuscript I have brewing. Good to be back in the game.
- My first post-Italy pilates class. Felt good to start to counter-balance the impact of the pizza, pasta, gelato summer.
- Crickets chirping (I know I said that last week too, but it’s so lovely to work at my computer in the evening to their nighttime serenade)
- The health of my family and friends. I am always thankful for this, but tragedy struck a dear friend of a dear friend of mine this week, which always puts the important things in life in sharp perspective. My heart is with my friend and her friend’s family.
- I have received unexpected and surprising compliments on my posts about Italy this week. I’m glad, because I have so enjoyed writing them.
- My dictionary and my thesaurus. And Rhymezone.com. How my writing would be so much more of a struggle without them!
- Gearing up for the start of school – tomorrow! This is bittersweet, as I’ll send my baby on the bus this year. But he’s ready, so I should be too.
- Having a girl’s night with Em – getting a mani/pedi together
What are you grateful for this week?